Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you. I personally use and love all items that I recommend!
Vegan Broccoli Cashew “Cheese” Sauce
This sauce is tasty on it's own like a soup or even better when mixed with pasta or rice!
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 12 oz broccoli florets
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup almond milk unsweetened & plain
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch optional to thicken sauce
- Soak cashews in hot water for at least 30 minutes.
- Add 2 cups vegetable broth & 2 cups water to large pot with broccoli florets. Bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cover for 30 minutes until broccoli is soft.
- In a blender, combine soaked cashews (drain water), nutritional yeast, almond milk, garlic powder, salt, & pepper. Blend until smooth.
- If you have enough room in the blender, add broccoli florets. Blend until smooth. Add mixture back to the large pot with the broth/water. (If your blender can't fit everything in, pour the cashew mixture into the pot and blend the broccoli with some of the broth/water liquid).
- At this point you can leave the mixture as is for a simple soup. If you want to use as a sauce for rice or pasta, I mix 1 tbsp cornstarch with water and mix until smooth.
- Add cornstarch mixture to the pot while stirring and bring to a light boil until sauce thickens. Stirring continuously.