Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you. I personally use and love all items that I recommend!
This Crispy Tofu recipe was a big hit with the family! You can use an air fryer or the oven to make the perfect crispy tofu. The trick is to press the water out of your tofu prior to cooking!
Last year I went through out kitchen and minimized our random gadgets and appliances, so I was not looking to add anymore to our kitchen. However our dietitian told us about the wonders of the air fryer (not to mention the time it saves) and I was sold! We ordered one and it arrived two days later. That night we were making this delicious crispy tofu!
The setup on the air fryer was simple and our first batch of crispy tofu came out perfectly. The air fryer has now found a nice home on our kitchen counter!
Crispy Tofu & Stir Fry Vegetables
Stir Fry Vegetables
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 lb green beans
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1 small baby bok choy
- 1-2 bell peppers sliced
- 1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch optional to thicken
- 14 oz tofu
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- sprinkle black pepper
Stir Fry Vegetables
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a light boil. Add green beans and bell peppers. Cover and cook on medium for about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, sliced almonds, baby bok choy, and mushrooms. Cover and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes (or until desired doneness – I prefer our vegetables softer, but take them off sooner if you like them more crisp!)
- If sauce is too thin, you can add arrowroot or cornstarch to thicken. Mix with equal amounts of water, stir until combined, then add to the pot. Continue to cook on low while stirring until sauce begins to thicken.
- Prep tofu prior to starting vegetables. Empty tofu from package and drain water. Place on a hard flat surface (like a cutting board), wrap in paper towels, place another flat surface on top with heavy items. Let sit for at least 15 minutes to press out excess liquid.
- Combine ingredients for tofu seasoning: sea salt, nutritional yeast, onion powder, smoked paprika, turmeric, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Cut tofu into cubes and place in bowl. Add 1 tbsp soy sauce, toss to coat. Once coated, toss tofu with 1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch and seasonings.
- Cook in air fryer at 400F for 10 minutes, shaking at halfway point. I cooked in two batches so they weren’t overcrowded in the air fryer.
- Tofu can also be baked in oven at 400F on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake approximately 15 minutes, then flip each tofu piece. Cook an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with stir fry vegetables and rice!
Recipe adapted from:
Here’s my picky toddlers plate! Served with some vegetable yakisoba (she loves the noodles) and a carrot ginger dressing for dipping! She loved the crispy tofu!