Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you. I personally use and love all items that I recommend!
These lentil taquitos were easy to make and a hit with the family! You can bake them in the over or use the air fryer.
I was hesitant to add another appliance to our kitchen. We already ditched our toasted about a year ago and I never looked back. However, our dietitian mentioned how helpful it was, especially when trying to cut back oil usage. I figured we’d give it a try and see what we thought!
I must admit, I am seriously impressed with the air fryer. It is so easy to use and cleanup. I’ve been tossing frozen items (like carrot fries and gyoza) in there for a speedy, crispy meal – no preheating necessary! Vegan taquitos were bound to happen, so here was my first shot.
I had a bag of whole green lentils on hand from Trader Joe’s that I wanted to test out. I hadn’t cooked lentils before, but they were surprisingly easy. After a quick browse of my pantry, I found diced green chiles, tomato paste, and some basic spices to jazz up the mix.
Lentil Taquitos Recipe
- 1 cup whole green lentils cooked according to instructions on package
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 small can diced green chiles
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- corn tortillas
- If using oven, preheat to 375F and set out baking sheet.
- Rinse lentils in water and drain. Add lentils to large pot with 3 cups vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and lower to simmer for 15-20 minutes, until lentils are softened and most liquid is absorbed. Once cooked, turn heat off.
- Add tomato paste, green chiles, ground cumin, onion powder, chili powder, sea salt, nutritional yeast. Stir until combined. Set aside.
- Warm corn tortillas on skillet until soft and pliable. This will help you roll them without breaking. Scoop 2 tbsp worth of lentils into tortilla and roll. Place seam side down in air fryer or baking sheet.
- IF USING AIR FRYER: Cook at 375F for 5 minutes, check for doneness and continue cooking. I took mine out around 9 minutes so they didn’t get too crispy.
- IF USING OVEN: Bake at 375F for approximately 10 minutes, check doneness and continue cooking until desired crispness.